Saturday 25 June 2011

Challenge 26 - LEARN TO SWIM FRONT CRAWL

Being of a certain age, my learning to swim experience was not of the 'singing-nursery-rhymes-while-playing-with-colourful-toys-buoyed-up-by-inflatables' variety, but rather of the 'throw-her-in-the-deep-end-and-shout-loudly-till-she-comes-to-the-surface' variety!  As a result I learned the breast stroke and stuck with it, as a means of getting from A to B (where A is one side of the pool and B is the other, and not where A is Dover and B is Calais!).

I have however always harboured a burning desire to swim like a pro, ie front crawl, and if ever there was a time to address a burning desire, it was this year.   So... I enrolled for swimming lessons at my local pool.

Now, thanks to the patience and perseverance of my two teachers (yes, one fled the profession half way through - I wonder why), I can now swim a length of front crawl with some degree of style and control.  The more difficult challenge has been putting up with the taunts and ridicule of the 5-6 year old bystanders waiting for their lessons - many of whom are in my class at school!

How many months have I got to practise before August 2012?!?!  Must get to work on the cellulite - it won't look good on the podium or on the front page of the national press!

No comments:

Post a Comment