Monday 7 February 2011

Challenge 5 - GET BLESSED BY THE POPE

I have been blessed - generally in life - but also specifically by il Papa in Rome, -  so challenge 5 is ticked.

Apart from a halo hovering precariously over my head, I feel little different following my spiritual experience, and my atheistic 'faith' is unshaken.  Sharing the experience with a thousand believers was certainly moving - I felt the love - but the abundance of 'Abortion is Murder', 'No to IVF', and 'Homosexuality is a Sin' banners kept it real.  The 'P' word was nowhere to be seen - either on the banners or in the minds of the devotees. Ho hum.

Enough of the politics and ethics - it makes it sound like a much more serious event than it was.  Think instead of warm sunshine, vino rosso, italian style (oh how I want some),  romance, beautiful architecture and good, if slightly mad, company.

The weekend was partly in memory of Mum and Dad, and as I looked skyward outside St Peters Basilica, I saw Mum smiling that her family were together, and I'm sure I heard Dad asking for a large glass of chianti.

Thank you Rome - I'm glad we spent time together in my 50th year.  Now, can I take my halo off please?

7 comments:

  1. I'm loving your blog...you clearly have the way with words that daddy has also been blessed with! Have you climbed a Munro before? Flown a glider? Been dog-sledding? Had your portrait painted? Had a dress/outfit designed for you? Been skinny dipping...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dad wonders have you ever rowed a 100yr old achill curragh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I find out what one is, I'll let you know, Katie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. SKINNY DIPPING (incl photos) hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Already on my list and there will be photos ......... of my head bobbing on the surface!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on challenge 5 and thanks for such a great job on the shamrock face painting before the match in Rome! With our Italian flags and our shamrock we looked like the most confused and indecisive fans in the stadium. Looking forward to following your adventures. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Sue - lovely to hear from you. Just got back from the Arctic with 4 more challenges ticked off so keep reading!

    ReplyDelete