Thursday 31 March 2011

Challenge 14 - BUY SOMETHING AT AUCTION

Going.........going...........gone!  The hammer went down, and I was the very proud owner of lot no 133 - a UKELELE!  Tension was high, my palms were sweaty, my throat was dry, I needed a nervous wee, but I held firm and outbid the only other bidder.  I waved my white card in the air nonchalantly with a done-it-all-before air, but despite my best efforts, my childish excitement shone through as I tried to resist the urge to punch the air and shout 'Loser' at my competitor.

Why a ukelele, I hear you ask.  Not a clue, I answer.  Just a whim, and a tad more exciting than a pair of pottery spaniels or 9 albums of Isle of Man stamps!  At least I can recoup my outlay by busking.  I did attempt a bid on a stuffed woodpecker, but got cold feet at £26, and also a set of 5 flying ducks which reached the dizzy height of £110.

As bonkers as my purchase was, the prize for the Most Mad Moment of the day must go to my friend, Ann.  Without warning or forethought her hand shot up into the air on hearing the phrase '£5 for the quantity of horse-feeding fixtures'.  Splendidly, she now has the means to feed the horse she doesn't have!  I giggled uncontrollably into my catalogue, scared that my shaking shoulders might be misconstrued as a bid for a mahogany dresser with cabriole legs!










I love auctions - it's like adrenalin-fuelled charity-shop shopping while sitting on a comfortable 'mahogany dining chair with blue overstuffed seat' (lot 152).  Where else could you buy 4 gilt-framed prints (£2), a pair of eagle statues (£10) and a set of 4 oak dining chairs with turned legs (£10) without moving?




I feel an addiction coming on...

2 comments:

  1. Well you wouldn't be the first in the family to fall to that addiction! I hate to tell you though, you haven't actually purchased a ukelele!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to say, it's a very funny looking uke. I think you need to learn to play it. Here's some inspiration though http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KZjnFZvCNc

    ReplyDelete