Tuesday 22 November 2011

Challenge 45 - See the Sound of Music

"The hills are alive, with the sound of ...........


......4 inebriated seventies schoolfriends, warbling out of tune at the top of their voices, dressed as rather dishevelled nuns!

We were not alone.  Several hundred other 'sisters' joined us, as did many curtain-clad Von Trapps, girls (and boys) in white dresses with blue satin sashes, brown paper packages tied up with string, wild geese that fly with the moon on their wings, and even a bright copper kettle.  Not your average Saturday night cinema audience, but a happy one!

I am rather proud of the fact that I have reached 50 without ever having to 'endure' the Sound of Music.  I don't do films where people spontaneously erupt into song (doesn't happen in my world), just as I don't do films in black and white (my world is colour and I like it that way).  Add to that saccharin-coated characters, sickly romance, over-simplistic anti-Nazi politics,  lederhosen and Julie Andrews, and it was never going to win me over, especially not in karaoke form.

Or so I thought!!!! Why then did I thoroughly enjoy the whole experience of Singalonga Sound of Music as much as I did.  Alcohol?  Definitely loosened the inhibitions, lubricated the voice-box and lightened the mood.  The company?  Certainly - seeing my 3 lovely school friends together for the first time in 25 years was a real highlight of my year - getting them to don habits and wimples in public was the icing on a rather scrummy cake.  The musical?  I think not.  Loved the experience but hated the film and the songs - definitely not one of my favourite things.

To Ruth, Lorraine and Tracy, I say "thank you", for your company and for indulging me with smiles on your faces. Heavens to murgatroyd - let's not leave it another 25 years - by then I will be losing my marbles as well as my debit card!


 To musicals I say "so long, farewell, auf wiedersehen, goodbye!".

No comments:

Post a Comment