Tuesday 1 November 2011

Challenge 41 - HOLD A SPIDER

I am an arachnophobe - I was born that way - I can't help it - it's in the genes.

Spiders are sly, aggressive, enormous, fast, manipulative, hairy, tickly, predatory, and so very very ugly.  What not to be scared of.  Also, according to my niece, and I have to agree, they steal your soul and sell it to Satan.  Following my recent encounter (from which the spider emerged victorious I fear), my soul is well and truly packaged up and sitting on the shelf of the devil's workshop, waiting to be used for nefarious ends.


I had hoped that this challenge would mark the end of 50 years of spider phobia and evasion, but alas not.  I chose a small-ish beast to start with, with the aim of working my way up to something you could see without magnification.  But I spent so long (about 25 mins) screaming and dancing and hyperventilating, that my little spider in the interim grew into a tarantula sized black widow with a bone to pick and a chip on its shoulder.  My name was on both the bone and the chip.

After several aborted attempts, the spider was eventually tipped onto my outstretched hand, and lasted long enough on my skin for me to feel its tickle and its vengeance.  After 2 or 3 goes, I quit for animal welfare reasons and because I was having a heart attack.

Please feel free to watch the video HERE - I would recommend a magnifying glass and a slow motion camera to fully appreciate the horror of the event.  Just for the record, I have sacked the camera-man.

Spiders and I are still not friends.  Perhaps if they give me my soul back, I might reconsider!

No comments:

Post a Comment