Thursday 15 December 2011

Challenge 48 - STAR IN A PANTO

I do not do drama, or role play, or performing, or even pretending to eat a non-existent cake for the 127th time off a plastic plate in a plastic cafe run by 5 year olds.  An occupational hazard, but one I avoid at all costs, usually by hiding in the cupboard.

Sadly on Tuesday, and thanks to all my colleagues' evil and vindictive disposition, the cupboard was locked and I was forced into a Jolly Postman costume, and thrust onto 'stage' in front of the whole school to play the lead role in our annual festive AD-LIB panto.  There were no lines to learn, no stage directions to rehearse, no characters to absorb - just fear to conquer, embarrassment to overcome, ordeals to dread, 250 children to entertain, my dignity to preserve and my knees to stop knocking.

And I was SO right to be fearful.  I had to drink magic potions with the Wicked Witch, eat uncooked porridge with the Three Bears, be chased by the Big Bad Wolf, dance the Macarena with the Ugly Sisters, perform an Irish jig on my own and stand on a table singing "I believe I can fly" - twice!

By the end, I did believe I could fly, I did believe I could touch the sky - I had risen to the challenge, and unexpectedly quite enjoyed it.  The smell of the grease-paint had tickled my nostrils, the roar of applause had echoed in my ears, the stage lights had dazzled my eyes.


Broadway here I come......dahling!  I think about it every night and day, I spread my wings and fly away.....

Thanks to everyone for pushing me very forcefully out of my comfort zone in the cupboard.

No comments:

Post a Comment