Thursday 22 December 2011

Challenge 49 - DO A SOLSTICE AT STONEHENGE

WOW!   AND WOW AGAIN!

This one took me completely by surprise.  Was expecting it be a box-ticking challenge, and actually had a slightly spiritual experience.  I have always thought I was just a plain old common-or-garden atheist, but am now detecting an undercurrent of humanism, with a hint of paganism, and maybe even a dusting of druid-ism.  I am therefore much more exciting than I thought I was! Or rather than I was yesterday.

Everything fell into place - my 3 children got up willingly at 4.45 am, the weather was 'balmy' and dry, the car-park had one last space left with our name on it, and the sun even popped its head out of a cloudy sky to rise majestically and cast its light through the narrow gap in the stones. To top it all my gorgeous friend, Jane, arrived from London abandoning her car on a verge and scaling some barbed wire to be with us.  I do love you Jane!



It was a true celebration of life - in all its most weird and wonderful forms, but all smiling and happy.  It had all the optimistic revelry of New Year's Eve, but without the hangover of disappointment and anti-climax that often accompanies it.  Life may not get better, but the days are definitely going to get longer - so let's celebrate.

The stones were the true star of the show.  To stand within the inner circle, leaning against these iconic giants, watching the sun rise was a privilege.  As humans they make us feel small by towering over us, yet as humans they make us feel tall by reminding us of what we can achieve using our amazing brains, bodies and spirit.

I know where I'll be this time next year, complete with mistletoe, bells, antlers, stick and some velveteen curtains.  Care to join me?

No comments:

Post a Comment