Thursday 13 January 2011

Challenge 1 - PLAY THE BAGPIPES

This challenge kindly presented itself to me, barely 1 minute into my fiftieth year, and I seized it with both hands, both physically and metaphorically. To be fair, it wasn't even on my list, but should have been.  What an omission. We were celebrating the New Year in Germany (Burgberg near Sonthofen near Oberstdorf for any geographers or sad sacks among you), to the sound of a lone kilted piper playing 'Auld Lang Sang, when the music stopped and the pipes passed into my hands.  Eager for my first 'new' experience, I grabbed the opportunity and the instrument.  I blew, I pumped, I blew, I pumped, I blew, I pumped until eventually the beautiful sound of Amazing Grace with double harmonies rang out among the hills.  That's how I heard it, - everyone else bizarrely heard a long and flat farting noise.  Still, first tick on my list, and the adventure had begun.


No comments:

Post a Comment