Tuesday 3 May 2011

Challenge 19 - CATCH A FISH




It was THIS big!



It's official - I am a natural born angler, waiting patiently for hours, teasing my prey with little canopes of bread and sweetcorn, luring it out of the reeds with my fish song, sensing its stealthy approach with every fibre of my body, crouching like a coiled spring ready to respond to the slightest tug on the line.  Sadly the first time I did have a bite, I had a cup of tea in my hand, so could merely shout "Look, look, my little orange thingy (aka float) has disappeared".  This gave the little fishy in question enough time to carefully remove the hook, say grace, feast on the bread and sweetcorn sandwich, wash it all down with a little digestif, do a little dance routine, warn all his friends, and then slink off into the murky depths.  I knew he'd be back, that I had merely whetted his appetite, - but judging by the tone of Iain's voice and the grimace on his face, I don't think he was so sure!




He did come back, and this time I was ready. I reeled him in, in what can only be described as an adrenalin-fuelled, gladiatorial fight between woman and fish.  Woman won, and I landed a 3-4lb rather handsome carp.  We became acquainted (though he was a little slimy for my personal tastes), had our photo taken together, and he was returned within minutes to the pond.  Job done, challenge ticked, and I am feeling chuffed.

Iain has yet to put into words the enormous delight he obviously feels that I can now accompany him on his fishing expeditions.  No need to ever feel lonely again, Iain!

No comments:

Post a Comment