Wednesday 6 July 2011

Challenge 28 - ROLLER-BLADE

Over 50?  Slowing down?  Worried about your mobility?  Forget granny-scooters!  Forget zimmer frames!  Forget stairlifts! Think ROLLER-BLADES!  The perfect choice for the young-at-heart-but-old-in-leg.  Get to Bingo quicker! Be first in the pension queue at the Post Office!  Leave your friends standing by the bus stop!


So that is what I did.  With 4 little wheels attached to each foot, and clutching the arm of my support-worker, Lauren (friend, not daughter), I gingerly stepped, or rolled, out onto Barton sea-front.  I wobbled, and screamed, and teetered, and squealed, and stumbled, and yelped my way to the cafe, where I stopped briefly to embarrass my son, before continuing on my faltering journey.  Before long however I was whizzing along, with the wind in my hair and the rain on my face.  Nothing could stop me....... except perhaps an errant twig on the pavement or a threatening manhole cover or a clumsy lamppost......... and then I panicked and cried.

Confidence was building as I glided along dreaming of sunshine and LA and humming 'what a feeling, being's believing'.  Feeling bold I even dabbled in the little known sport of 'rollerblading ballet'.

I returned to the safety of my friend's house feeling 30 years younger and with all bones and pride intact. Result.

Final score =  no falls, and no refusals.....


.......until I stepped inside the porch
.......and fell flat on my backside
.......with style of course
.......and with a smile on my face!

1 comment:

  1. Are you going to keep it up though? Is this how you're going to get about in future?

    ReplyDelete